Members advise on Ferris Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brandy, Feb 11, 2001.

1. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

Should I buy this mower or something else??

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Make sure someone is around that can 1) fix the mower and 2) can get parts.

I was told by a friend of mine when I got started to not buy Ferris or Bunton due to having these problems, he was right.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Jim, You know from looking at the ferris it is a very heavy duty machine. I have heard nothing but great things about it smooth ride and its ability to hold hills. The machine is defitly built outstanding.... the only thing left to do is to get a demo first thing in the spring and see what its quality of cut is like. If it cuts nice i say buy it!

4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Demo it before before you buy. Check the service department.

5. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I have a friend that owns a Ferris hydro WB. It is built like a tank. It is now 5 or 6 years old and has the crap beat out of it. It has taken a major beating. The only bad thing is the quality of cut, and ease of operation on a single hydro. It is terrible, as much debris blows out the front of the machine as the discharge chute. The suction is terrible. It lays the grass down more than it sucks it up and cuts it. The yards he mows usually look like a 5 ton truck was driven over it, because it is soo flat.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It sounds like his deck hasn't been scraped in a long long time, Mike.

7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Brandy, before you decide, look at eXmark mowers.

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

We used Ferris brand mowers for years. Very dependable mowers. As a matter of fact I think the very early 90's model 32", single hydro, 12.5 h.p kawai, unit is still in operation without ever having a major overhaul. Must have thousands and thousands of hours on it.

I think local dealer support is the main thing you should check for. Can you get parts, backup mowers, support, etc, etc...

9. Finecut

Finecut LawnSite Member
    from IL

On the dual drive Ferris at the point where you connect the deck to the tractor unit there are three height adjustments. On the blade journal there are three washers which you can use to adjust cutting height. If you don't have the proper deck height and the proper blade height you will have a negative flow of air which in turn will blow grass out from under the deck and force the grass to flatten out as you pass over it. With proper blade height and proper deck height you will have the proper amount of vacuum to draw the grass up rather than blow the grass down as the mower passes over it. I have assumed from other comments above you are speaking about a walk behind mower. If you test a Ferris you will note the wide track 47" which will help out doing hill sides.

I also concur with the advice if you don't have a dealer for good support look elsewhere...whether it be Exmark, Toro, Bobcat Ect. The Ferris machine is a good machine and will do a great job for you with little down time with the proper dealer support.

Due to the the fact that the independent suspension ztr is so new it's not known what problems they may have after several years of hard use. In the past Ferris has had the industry's longest warranty...which should tell you something about their product.

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a derby pacer 36" WB hydro (made by ferris industries). I love it it is very tough and does a great job mowing. The thunb controls make it very easy to operate, making it easier to train new help, heck even the wife likes using it. It tracks quite well on hills too.

As far as service there are a lot of dealers out there that deal with ferris, any dealer that sells symplicity will have ferris.