Men of Stihl, help me out here.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Jun 7, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What on earth is up with the mounting springs on the BR400? First the lower right then the lower left have broken and I have to coax them back into place but they pop out because, well, obviously they are broken. Any of you guys have this happen?

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah if you drop it pretty hard they'll break. I've had one broken for over 5 yrs.
  3. CSRA Landscaping

Yeah, I try not to play 'war' with my equipment or go for punting records with it, either. It rides mounted on the wall in my trailer.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I've had one for five years and no problems except for one choke knob.

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

Got three of the BR400's and got a 1/2 dozen springs in a jar. The springs are cheap but a pain in the a$$ to change. Your not the only one with this problem. Got one with a bungee cord holding it together. Just haven't had time to replace the spring.

Are we having fun yet?:D
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

That bottom spring is a nightmare to fix. My straps comeout all the time too.
  7. yeah, i honestly have to say that out of all 3 of my back pack blowers, i have had my little redmax there for i think about 4 or 5 years now and i havent even had 1/2 the problems that i have had with my br400 that i have only had for a little over a year now. i think that redmax is great when it comes to the back pack blowers and trimmers, however chain saws, hedge clippers, and that kind of thing belongs to stihl. no one company is the best at everything. and while it is nice to be able to only stock parts from one brand of equipment i think it is nicer not to have to do the repairs in the first part. so maybe do yourself a favor and try a redmax next time you buy a back pack blower. just a thought -
  8. CSRA Landscaping

I may do that, Matt. I haven't really tried to find a dealer yet.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I had 1 break this spring during leaf jobs. I was real close to suicide by the time I finished.
  10. Givens Phillips

Givens Phillips LawnSite Member

I have had the same problem with my Stihl mounted on the trailer wall. The easiest way I found to stop further spring breakage is to strap a bungee cord from the bottom of the back piece across the engine to the mount on the trailer. This seems to provide support for the springs so they are not constantly under stress and being shaken as the trailer travels down the road.