Men of the Multimeter>>>> >>>>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Apr 28, 2008.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

how do you like to use your wire tester...

Spare me no detail...I used to use a Tempo(or something) wire snapper..It worked great...We all know a Multitester is better...Let the information on this toy torrent down upon this thread...

Si vous plait.....

I know something about the solenoid has to be between 20 and 60 something..
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]
    CSR

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

ohm my gosh, padawan what are you trying to communicate?:waving:

3. I use a station master for the quick checks.... good/open/short... If I am hunting down trouble with the wiring then I pull out the multimeter...actually I have been trying to use the multimeter more, so I get a better understanding on the ohms....

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

any information you or Brandon care to share?

5. BrandonV

BTW OHMs is resistance. It should read 1 (infinity) for an open circuit and almost 0 (none) for a closed circuit. If you get a 1 it is busted, 0 would mean the wiring is perfect (no resistance what so ever) so usually you'll get something in between. That what you needing?

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure you'll ever get much use of the capacitance-measuring capability of that multimeter. If it can read AC current in the range of what a solenoid draws, that may help out in the case of an intermittent short.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Bran- what about testing the valves in the field....i can count a few times the past few years we keep snapping stupid 1.5 amp fuses in those dang toro vision controllers...

8. BrandonV

if you're attempting to see if the valves are getting the right amount of current you'll just use the volt meter part, one of the common and one of the zone wire. The further you are from the clock the lower the voltage of course. Now if your valve is shorting out the clock its probably a solenoid that's for some reason arch'd over and creating a short. Or could be wires in the ditch somewhere... we've had them weld together due to lighting storms so the fun never ends.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

Hey bran i just tested my some wires, how come It jumps all over the place on the meter? Eventually after the numbers are done dancing it is between 0 and 1 which means the wiring is connected and intact....Now if it read over 1 the wires would be Messed up.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Get a real man's multimeter - think that wimpy digital doohickey is ready to run with the big dawgs?

31d2_1.JPG