Menards

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Feb 13, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Just saw that some of our local Menards stores are starting to rent small dump trucks. I don't mind them selling material, but this is getting out of hand. What next? Are they going to rent out laborers and accountants and ad execs? And to think they just sent me a nice organizer that says, get this, "We're your supplier, not your competitor"
    It looks like I'm not their customer anymore either!

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I didn't see they were renting trucks. The Home Depots here rent trucks, too.

That's OK, though. A few years ago I had a couple contact me about prepping the base for their patio. This poor wife - she was taking care of 5 kids all under the age of about 7. When I met them she was cutting the grass. She had excavated the patio area (about 600 sqft), and was going to truck all the stone with an old pickup, and shovel it out by hand into the patio area. She had already purchased all the brick and trucked it to their house using that same pickup, unloading by hand. She got all the brick at Menards.

Needless to say, I didn;t get the job. Too much $$. But if that's who is buying from Menards, it doesn't worry me too much. Nor should it worry you.

3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Stonehenge,
    You still have that lady's number? I'm thinking I might want to hire her ;)

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No kidding. She didn't know the word quit. Looked like she could take her husband with one hand tied behind her back. :D

5. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

My menards doesn't have one yet. i have a menards account and thats about the only lumber yard i go to. the cedar lumber is really nice, i use retaining wall blocks from menards, brick for brick edging.etc. bottom line is if lowes and home depot have it menards has to to.because when your that big you have to keep up with the jones's.I don't go to lowes for example because they don't carry cedar lumber, think of how many homeowners won't go to menards if they can't use that truck to haul 10 sheets of drywall.the people renting that truck are the ones related to martha stewart. the ones who could design,install and main. their own stuff.heck they probely even propagate their own plants and make their own mulch. so work on the higher class that don't want to sweat.

countryscape
    "your backyard contractor"

6. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

the menards stores around here are renting one ton trucks, but the beds are not dump beds. They have low sides on them but wust still be hand loaded and unloaded.

7. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

The Menards here also has a truck but it is a half ton flat bed that doesn't dump. I go to Menards here as they carry Hessit pavers for about $.05 less than my local concrete retailer. Hessit happens to be in Freedom, IN so the Menard carries the quality paver. I have heard that other Menards carry real inferior products. I am not worried. I don't want to do the miscellaneous hauling for the average do it yourselfer.

Matt

8. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I digress.
    I called Menards and found out that they were half tons no dump. Since I'm not in the business of hauling lumber or drywall, I'm okay with it now. Just me blowing up again. DIYer's will always do their own thing I guess, and if you think about I'll bet most of us are this type too. Had a lady thirty something or so that had me deliver base and sand so she could put in her own europaver walkway. Same deal in that she showed me the deck SHE built while her hubby was away on a biz trip. Guess he helped some. She did a very professional job. Got asked lots of install questions when I delivered her materials. Turned into a job referral for her friend to the tune of about $6K. Find the bright side.