Menards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crlawncare01, Feb 7, 2012.

1. crlawncare01

crlawncare01 LawnSite Member

So i had a lead on a menards stores i contacted the store manger about the scope of work.... we went over everything and he also told me that they pay in in store credit anyone every come across that type of payment.

2. mikeslawnlandscapeohio

mikeslawnlandscapeohio LawnSite Member

No. I wouldn't do that. They will most likely 1099 you at end of year.

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Who cares? You have to report income anyway, whether you get a 1099 or not.

4. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ask if that's how he gets paid for his work. Store credit is a slap in the face. Do not do it.

5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I'd do it, I live in a old house that needs new windows. But only if the store credit was for about 125% of the cash price.

6. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

Cash money is just one form of payment. I dunno, if you shop there a lot, maybe it's worth it. It's just bartering. Maybe you want some really expensive BBQ set up, with the sinks and the little fridge and some expensive patio furniture. But there's no way you can justify the cash outlay. So you barter with Menards for it. You come out ahead because your actual outlay in labor and services cost you less than had it been cash. They come out ahead because their payment to you is at retail while they have their wholesale cost. What it costs them to pay you is of no concern to you, all you need worry about is what you get paid. Not a bad deal if you can use the store credit. Wonder if they sell hot tubs?

7. crlawncare01

crlawncare01 LawnSite Member

i thought it was kinda a slap in the face my self but on the other hand i wanna build a pole barn this year and they do sell them there...... i was thinking about putting in a bid with them and a little bit of a higher then normal price. ( because i no there products they get are CHEAP with a huge mark up) and if i do get the work i would put it towards the new pole barn lol

8. PK Mows

PK Mows LawnSite Member

I wouldn't take it as an insult, think of it as a swap, you have something of value they need, they have something of value you need. I've gotten neat stuff bartering that I wouldn't have paid cash for otherwise. Several motorcycles, couple cars, truckload of steel, lots of other stuff over the years. And the Wife couldn't complain that I went out and bought any of it. Shoot, thinking about it, I may scout out some independent gas stations and see if I can barter for gas.

9. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

2nd That, are you kidding me??? Dose he pay Menards AEP bill that way??

What because we are lowlifes who cut grass for a living we don't get paid in the form of money?

Wow, well glad i log on right quick, got somthin to talk about with the guys when they get here at the shop. Got some salt throw today:clapping:

10. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds like a bad idea! Do not do it!