Merit and watering it in. Too Much?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by livingsoils, Jun 25, 2006.

1. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I have been doing my Merit applications last week and now we were hit with 3-4 inches of rain this weekend:dizzy: I spoke to some people and they said you might have problems on the lawns which got 4 inches of rain because you might of got too much water and it washed it through the soil profile or ran off.
    Does anyone have any feed back on this? How much rain is too much and do you think I will be getting a lot of break through this year (I hope not).

Another question, What is the best way to control Mother nature?:hammerhead: :weightlifter:

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

time will tell?

there was a study done at URI (University of Rhode Island) that claims on test plots that received 6 inches of water per hour and the measurement of runoff was a 'trace'

3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

Merit contains the active ingredient imidacloprid, which is very tightly bound to organic materials in the soil. It is not easily leached or moved from the soil. It takes an extreme condition which displaces a lot of soil and massive amounts of water to disrupt a Merit application. While we would not normally recommend an application before 4 inches of rain, i do not believe that you should see any detriment to your Merit applications.

4. livingsoils

Hey Ant
    Do you work for Bayer????
    I just received that same answer almost verbatim from the Bayer "ask the expert".

5. ant

i gus i am busted .....LoL

After looking at your email another time, I realized that I needed to elaborate a little more. We do not really have any idea how much rain is too much rain. Obviously, you understand that the amount of precipitation that you are getting is not the ideal conditions for a treatment. Our biggest recommendation is that the Merit had time to dry after being sprayed or activated by watering-in. This will allow the imidacloprid to have sufficient time to bind to organic material. If this rain was the water that you were expecting to activate the chemical with, then I would have some concerns about the application. I apologize for any miscommunication in the first email. Please let us know if you have more questions.

6. livingsoils

Wow, we have an expert in our midsts.:clapping: :clapping:
    How much rain have you recieved in NJ, Are you worried about any of your customers?:confused:

Do you still have the aerovator? How do you pull it? I don't have a small tractor.

Mike :waving:

7. ant

total since the storm started friday included today <4''

i still have the aerovator..i used a small tractor with pto..

8. livingsoils

Rain is finally over:clapping: :clapping:
    We had a total of 15 inches:dizzy:
    I had a call into Bayer and got a call back today. They said everything should be fine as long as it was not a sandy soil or the soil got washed away. The Merit forms a very strong bond to the organic matter in the soil so it should be ok.:dancing:

9. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

would you expect a manufactorers rep. response to be anything different?

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Merit rules! We tried Mach I one year and had breakthrough. We went back to Merit and still have never had breakthrough after all these years. American Lawn Care, Des Moines.