Merit (breakthrough) new england!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawn king, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

1000 sq ft of damage on 87000 sq ft is minor. It may not have been necessary to apply curative to the entire property but probably not a bad idea.

You guys are a real thin skinned bunch around here.

To be honest I'm not even sure anyone who manufactures Merit (hows that....spelled right?) even claims you get 100% control.

The idea in my opinion is to get the insect population below the damage threshold.

2. Landgreen

Landgreen LawnSite Member

5 grubs per square foot is the threshold I have always used. I was seeing 10-20! Bad news. They had to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landgreen

Thats good news. My distributor put in a request to their supplier. Waiting to see what they say.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I doubt Dylox will be effective on grubs now.

5. Cadzilla

Why do you think that?

6. Cadzilla

Yikes. I don't think I have ever seen grub pressure that bad. I didn't mean to be a dick, but don't count Merit out for a failure now and then.

It's really the best insecticide to come out in the last twenty years ( well that and bifenthrin) and has protected a lot of turf and made us all a lot of profits!

:clapping:

7. Landgreen

Dylox should be ok. In my area I would still apply it until the end of October. Grubs go deep when they need to avoid frost which will be a while yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. phasthound

While grubs are still near the surface, they are now in their 3rd instar and are difficult to control.

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

barry our grubs our behind schedule and small, i suspect they are now in 2nd instar size, umass predicts 70% control i think i read at about this time w/dylox

but obviously different grubs are at different stages, jab beetle grubs would likely be in 3rd instar here now, but im not really seeing them

product used allectus .225% + fert / high resi rate

10. phasthound

That's a good point.

Here is the reply I received from Rich Buckley at the Rutgers Plant Diagnostic Lab regarding break though with Merit.
    I have not heard anything specific for this year, but I don't doubt there were control failures. Merit will not control asiatic garden beetles. It is known that they will invade areas as a secondary pest once the oriental and japanese beetles are removed by the product. I also suspect that due to the dry mid-summer period that egg-hatch was delayed until late-August when the rains started again. If you applied Merit as per the label in May, then it was probably used up by then. I think it best to use Merit when the adults fly in late-June or July so it lasts through late-summer into fall.