Merit costs for pros

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by adawg, Jul 10, 2006.

1. adawg

adawg LawnSite Member

Hi there, I am just joe homeowner that wandered in to Lesco a few weeks back and got the merit/fert combination product for my house. I need to cover 60,000 sq. feet, so it cost me an arm and a leg ($340 after tax to be exact). While there I overheard some pros talking and it sounds like they may have been paying $40/bag for the same stuff (my cost was double). I am just wondering what you all may pay for the stuff as next year I may hire it out if it is cheaper than doing it myself...
  2. thomsoutdoor

thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member

The last time I checked it was around $85 per bag and it coverd 10,000 sqft. and that was with my discount.
  3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Cost is based on volume of sales. I used to buy merit by the pallet. We put down 13 pallets (40 bags/pallet) one year. This is also only one of 4 rounds

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the stuff is not cheep even for big buyers
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy exclusively from Lesco. One reason is to increase my profit margin by decreasing my cost of product. I still don't get it for anywhere near $40 a bag though.
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

well five bags would cover 60000 so my cost would have been 265, to apply it would have cost you an arm and a leg.

O'Donnell Landscape and Design
  7. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I would have charged you $550 for the combination application (with broadleaf weed control included)
  8. adawg

adawg LawnSite Member

OK, thanks fellas. I likely misheard when I was there then. I just figured if pros could get a big discount and do it for the same price, or very close, to what I could do it for, I'd rather let them go for it. Sounds like for the time being, as a lowley house-poor homeowner, I'll stick to doing it myself the next few years.

Thanks again!
  9. adawg

adawg LawnSite Member

BTW, Turfscape, I think I see your trucks around here every so often. I live on the Howell/Pinckney border in a sub behind the B-Line Bar...
  10. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $65.69 a bag this year. So at 5 bags plus tax it would cost me $351.44
    Your less than me;)