1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Merit (costs)

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by peteloare, Sep 29, 2003.

1. peteloare

peteloare LawnSite Member

What did you pay for merit this year. I had to pay $77.00 per bag and my supplier here in Michigan expects the price to climb next year.
  2. I paid about $75 for a 30 lb. bag this year.

It was the Merit ".5G" in the blue bag.

How heavy was your bag, was it a merit/fert combo? What was the percent of active ingredient?

My cost per 1k/ft.sq. was about $4.50.
  3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $61.50 per bag. It was a 30lb bag of Merit .5 G
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That is EXPENSIVE. I haven't used Merit in several years for that reason. I find that timing the grub control application correctly and using Dylox is the only reasonable way to go. I am in Southeast Michigan as well (right next door to Howell, in Pinckney). I did grub control applications from September 1-15, with no turf damage from the critters.
  5. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

Expect higher prices next year. Bayer keeps raising their prices annually!!
    It was actually cheaper for some guys this year to use Mach 2 1.33% 0-0-7 than it was for them to use Merit .5g. The Mach 2 has no nitrogen, just a carrier for the Mach 2 on a standard size prill which makes spreading easier to see and do.
    Not to mention, there are less mistakes putting down 3.5#/1000 (Mach 2) vs. 1.4#/1000 (Merit). True, you have more bags, but how many applicators does the average company have. They can't see the product coming out so they open the hopper a bit more, wasted product and $$$$. On top of that, each applicator has a spreader that is callibrated differently than the others because of age, useage, etc. When it comes right down to it opening a few more bags per day may save you more money in the long run.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I paid $73 per bag, with a 24-5-11 carrier. This covered between 15 and 21 M. Next year, it should be substantially cheaper, since I'm in a different price structure with Lesco, now.
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How does the gran. compare with the liquid, costwise?????
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

$52 a bag from Lesco