1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Merit for grubs in turf liquid or granular, wich is cheaper

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CharlieBingo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I was considering liquid over granular. Anyone know wich is more cost effective?
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I believe that the granular is, because you are getting your fert. round in at the same time.
  3. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

The cheapest way to apply merit and fertilizer is to apply them separately, with a permagreen or turf tracker. That way you can selectively treat the areas of the lawn that you anticipate grub activity. You are also giving yourself the option of applying a less expensive fertilizer, should you wish to do so. The combination products certainly have their place, but you are locked into their opinion of what fertilizer to use and what price they will sell it to you.
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We use the granular and have never used the liquid, There is no need to apply merit in moderate to deep shade. Full sun areas get the merit. Fert/merit is the way to go if you have all full sun accts. As for the liquid,we use liquid products for weed & fungus controls only, specialty products now and then such as flight control and transfilm. Granular products work very well in the northeast.
  5. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Here's another dirty little secret that a salesman friend of mine clued me in on. Go down to the local Home Depot and take the label info off of a bag of merit. Then compute the a.i./A of the imidacloprid vs. that which we use. It is different; the professional product is applied at a higher rate. I am taking this off the top of my head, but I seem to remember that it equated to the difference of 11M per 1.6 oz packet to 12M per 1.6 oz packet. Anecdotal, to be sure, but it is intriguing why Bayer would do this.
  6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

ummm, need to be careful of the European Chafer, they hang out in trees and egg laying in shade is common for this species
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

using merit is not consistant with ipm. thank you
  8. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We have seen no chafer activity in shade at all!
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

King We have the Mask Chafer and I have never seen damage in shade area either.

But You all better be asking. Which is the most effective form of Merit not what is cheaper. I have seen WSP Merit fail on turf more than once. Sure You don't alway get what you pay for, but you never get more than you pay for.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Try BMP not IPM. I am sure you know what those letter stand for.

Best Management Practices