merit, on august 28th?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Jun 27, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i was just trashing some old paperwork and came across something from when i used to sub out chemical programs. the chemical company treated my clients for grubs, using merit, on august 28th. ive been doing my own for a while now, and that treatment on aug 28th seems very, very wrong. what do you think?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did that client have an irrigation system ????????

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

he did 10 of my clients on that date. some had irrigation, some did not. i am more concerned about his choice of product and his timing.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

About 2 months late, I think. Here, we need to be putting it down now, so it is in the soil and ready. This will give us protection through the end of September.

5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Connecticut, before Aug 15.

6. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Seems a little late, better to use Dylox by that time of year. Not that Merit won't control some other insect issues then, and even the late grubs like Oriental beetle grub, but quick knockdown is usually the rule by that time.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby,

I think that Mach 2 will work at that late a date. Otherwise, use dylox or oftanol.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes, thats what we use at that time of year. dilox or mach. we use merit in june as a "control" treatment, to kill eggs b 4 they hatch, and dilox or mach as a "kill" method later in the season. i couldnt believe that this big chemical company was using merit so late. it seems to me, the merit wouldnt do anything at that point. dont u agree?

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

bobbygedd,
    Merit kills the egg's of bettles?????

10. bobbygedd

from NJ