Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lenji58, Jul 15, 2007.

1. lenji58

lenji58 LawnSite Member

I'd like to know how long will an application of merit last in turf. I'm new to the industry and have heard it will last from 14 days to 90 days. Being it's time to appply maybe I'm a little late. I'm using lesco 24-0 -8 with .02 merit. Thanks for your help.
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

put it down now and water it in good, you wont have to worry about grubs for the rest of the year!
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

dido what indyturf said..
  4. lenji58

lenji58 LawnSite Member

Thank guys, When is the earliest I can apply? i'm thinking mid june when the temp is good.
  5. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I apply Merit in Early June. With one application I wipe out aphodius, ataenous, European Chafers and Japanese beetles.

By applying early I get no aphodius or ataenous damage (my timing is spot on for them) and get approximately 90% control on the later bloomers instead of the advertised 97%.

I'll happily lose 7% control to save 10K on an application and never have numbers anywhere near my threshold.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi dude ------you are in the same zone as us. According to my land-grant university guys...apply Merit from late June through early August. This has always worked for us. We tried Mach II when it first came out --- many breakthroughs. Merit has never let us down. Later.:usflag:
  7. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

It's safer to apply in June when it's more certain it will get watered in. This is especially true if you're using merit on fert - no lawn needs that much N in July or early August. If you want to use a carrier, try something like Lesco 0-0-7 with merit.

The only time you'll get breakthoughs is when the rate is too light, it doesn't get watered in or if there's too much thatch.
  8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

Save money, use off patent merit. Bayer makes one called touchstone and will back it the same as merit.
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bayer also has Hunter .5g purchased from UAP...

Also used some Malice this season as well.
  10. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Stamford CT...Early would be mid May but mid June is ideal. I once had a customer in Westchester applied Merit the last week in April. He caught the first wave but later hatchings ripped his turf to shreds!

90 days residual is correct but it takes a couple weeks (with good irrigation) to get working so we're approaching the cutoff date now. Bayer claims mid August but late July is safer if rains are all you have to move it down.