Mesh Tarp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jan 15, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do most of you guys use mesh tarps for the tops of your leaf box?. What do others use for the top of their box?

2. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Mesh tarps alow it to breath and prevent dust from coming out.

3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly -

Tried many different options over the years, it's as simple as a tarp from J-thomas.

The plywood with sheet metal was nice, but under pressure from the 25hp GiantVac loader, you could see the rivets flying in the sky.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am going to redesign my box. I want a solid roof over it so that if I get caught in the rain all that debris doesn't get wet. I was think of hinging the top in 4 different sections, that way if I wanted to load branches through the top, I could. Need to figure something light weight though..if I go that route.

5. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Mesh tarps are the way to go. They breath are easy to handle are are also used for covering plant material transported to job sites. Do not get the blue plastic and sometimes they come brown also tarps used to cover woodpiles ect.. that you get at Home Depot. They flap around when you drive over 30 M.P.H. and are a pain in the ___.

6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool. Thats what I was thinking about the breathing better.

7. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

well if you are nj you are in luck this year , most of the municipal owned leaf vacs are goin to auction ythis year since they changed the ordinance that you are no longer able to curb your leaves , "clean water act" so i hope to pick up a nice american roads vac this year :D

8. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Is this ordinance for all of NJ?
    I bought one of the American Roads Vacs this year. They are great machines.
    Let me know when the auction is

Jason

9. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

the ordinance is for all of nj , they dont want home owners to curb their leaves anymore because when it rains they arre clogging upp the storm drains , so all leaves are supposed to be baggged from now on. but from what i heard they are goin to give you one week to remove them from the curbside befor tickets are issued .

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I chose hardware cloth mesh, it gives maximum airflow and the dust is minimal. Nothing settles on power unit. We tarp only for rain forcast.

vacvent.JPG