Message for restrorob

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fixer67, May 4, 2005.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I was going to PM you but the systems says you hve the PM turned off.
    Remember our chat about fuel pumps a few days back? Well I have a new one for you. I have never seen this before. On a Kohler CV25 the pulse pump started spraying gas out of the pump vent, that brass mesh vent on the back of the pump. I have never seen this before. I looked around and found that the molded hose on the breather on the valve cover going the the air clearer housing had been replaced with fuel hose. The tight bend had caused it the pinch closed. I am guess that pressure built up in the crankcase to the point that the diagram in the pump failed. The owners tell me that this is the second fuel pump to fail in this manner in less than 2 weeks. I have never seen this before, have you?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

No fixer67 ,I havn't Run across that one yet either ! But it does stand to reason that the crankcase pressure had to relieve its self some where and that thin diaphragm in the pump would be weaker than the valve cover O-ring or a crank seal and even the dipstick seal. Thanks for informing me of your find. I will add that one to my data bank !

3. Restrorob

I seen your post on the toro PTO clutch .....I've seen the same problem and found the clutch worn and out of adjustment I adjusted the gap on the clutch to 12 thousands and never had anymore problems,Are these toro clutches adjustable ?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The one in question was the Warner model MSS-60-LC non-adjustable. I brought it home and took it apart after I replaced it. I found the windings had came though the epoxy coating from hitting the ware plate and was pulling to much current. I adjust the adjustable type all the time. I have found that using 3 feeler gauges at once, one in each slot makes the job go a lot easier

5. Restrorob

Your right about adjusting a clutch with only one gauge, Thats a waist of time. I asked about the description of the clutch because I wasn't sure what style he had.
    I knew nothing about the PM deal,Soon as I get It strightened out I'll let you know.