messed up my system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by frumdig, Apr 11, 2008.

1. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

well i dont post often, or get a chance to tell storys, but i enjoyed this one from a start-up I did last week.....
    so, back in october we did a frontyard install... full landscape, sod, stone front entry walk, and irrigation... well not two months later, they had to re-do their sewer line for the house.... backhoe messed up everything in its path... of course, they called us to come re-do everything, fix the new sod, re-do a section of the stone border, sod, plants etc....
    well, apparently the plumber for the sewer line would take care of fixing the irrigation, we told em our rate, they said the plumber would do it cheaper, so we said screw it. landscape crew re-does everything, and i go on about my buisness...
    go to start up the system last week.... first, he doesnt even repair 3 blantanly obvious leaks, break at a T-fitting... a section of pipe w/ a big chunk missing... and another break at a 90 fitting...
    then i had 2 lateral lines in one ditch and 3 in another... connects them all up to the wrong pipes... ive got half a rotor zone running w/ a section of bed... the other half w/ another spray zone.... and then some misplaced heads in another bed...
    after some intuitive digging and re-plumbing its back in buisness.... customer said to bill them whatever, because they were going to send it to the plumber anyway... :laugh:

i managed to wrap things up in < 4 hours... plus a few other odds and ends... allthough it prob would have taken me 1-2 hours if they would have just let me come by while the ditch and pipes were still exposed... but in most cases ive experienced around here... when ppl tear up irrigation they just cover it all up, and get outta there... THEN the h/o calls you to come fix it... arghhh.. :hammerhead:

-Evan

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Time and material, baby, time and material. :) Break as much as you want, mister homeowner.

3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

one more advantage of poly. i tell all landscapers "if you break something, pull it back out of the area you're working, and leave all ends exposed." that alone will cut a 4 hour job down to a one hour job.

pg

4. Wet_Boots

....and if they only bothered to actually do that little thing, life would be simpler.

5. Without A Drought

ain't that the truth. i think next winter i'm going to call in all our referring contractors and have a workshop on what to do when you're digging on my sites. i think it's mostly the amigos that don't want to get in trouble for damaging the irrigation, but they don't realize that i and the homeowner expect the impact, at least most of the contractors and homeowners are smart enough to call prior to getting any work done.

pg

6. Wet_Boots

What I love are the instances where you may almost think they did it on purpose. Like folding an end, before burying it, so you can't make it show by running water through the pipe.

7. Without A Drought

ahh, i had just that today. ran the zone backwards from the head and after 25 minutes i finally saw about a tablespoon of water where it shouldn't have been. sure enough, pipe was kinked and buried.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Same here..

on large Septic repairs (title V) we always try to stress to the contractors pull both ends up out of the ground and our job will be much eaiser....

sometimes those dirt monkeys don't understand the logic behind that..

Of course its not us who has to pay for shotty work, we just charge the HO more..

9. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Member
    from nunya

pool companies are the worst... the last revamp i did after a pool, i tracked down the mainline in the backyard by the side of the pool.... start plumbing things back up, cut the water on to flush out the mainline... and nothing... well they capped off the mainline in the frontyard where they ran the pool drain into the sewer line... so i had to search all up and down that ditch for where they capped it at... most of the time a pool means your going to have to re-do the whole backyard anyway.... but still...