messy oil changes on Lazer hp w/ 23hpkaw

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ScotLawn, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

guys, is there any easier way to change an oil filter that won't get oil all over the place. on my 04 lazer hp it's very messy. i tried to punch a hole in the end of the filter to drain some but still see alot of it all over the frame and am affraid it will drip down on the belts.

Also, i have an 04 metro with 15kaw twin. What is a part number to replace the plastic oil plug with a valve so i can change the oil on it without making an even bigger mess than with my lazer?

Scot

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have found on all of my exmarks that in an effort to control the mess while removing the oil filter, first to drail oil from crankcase then use a lid from a coffee can, (upside down) to collect the oil that dribbles out. The other part of the Coffee container can be cut down to fit down under the mower to collect the oil from the crankcase since a normal oil pan can't fit.

Hope this helps.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Scot called me this afternoon about the best way to change the filter. I told him how I do them and get no oil on the frame.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hoss,

Share the good news..........tell us all how.

Terry

5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

ok now that i have the answer on the lazer how about a part number for a valve for the 13 hp kawi twin to replace the plastic plug?

6. contourbs

contourbs LawnSite Member

the easiest way i change my oil is to suck it out with a thing called liquivac.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

At the end of a day when I'm finished I take the Lazer into the shop and let it drain all night. I set everything up I need for the morning. It drains all night and takes most of the pressure off the system and lightens the amount of oil coming out when you un-screw the filter. I take a shop rag and place it in a cup form under the filter. When I take the filter off a small amount comes out of the filter. It never gets any on the frame or anywhere. Spin a new filter on, add 2 qtrs of oil and hit the road.