Messy Trucks/ Trailers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jreiff, Dec 22, 2004.

1. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on organizing the back of their trucks or trailers. Always have tools all over the truck bed piled ontop of each other. Always sorting threw them to get the one you need. Any good ideas out there? Or how about any invetions that you have thought of and made?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Trimmer Trap racks on the trailers to organize trimmers, blowers, water coolers, and trimmer line. Jungle Jims make a thing that holds gas cans and blowers and other small stuff it mounts on the front of your trailer.

www.TrimmerTrap.com
    http://www.junglejimsap.com/

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a homemade storage cabinet in a contractors pickup bed ...it basically was made from 2X6's across the bottom of the bed, framed in at say 4X8'. The front 2X6 across the bed/tailgate area was notched with semi circular holes, and fully drilled round holes about 3-4" across. Then the whole thing was covered over and held together by a sheet of plywood, and then he had a bed mat over the top. When you looked over the bed rails, it looked like the bottom of the bed, only 7" higher than normal. And when the tailgate was dropped, the tools were at the ready to be pulled out of the holes in the frame. I have seen something similar somewhere here in a thread as well. I certainly would keep the bed clean if you carried a lot of stick tools all the time. This creation belonged to a surveyor, he had a few spades, story poles, spud bars and such in this cabinet. Pretty cool...I think the one I saw here at LS had PVC pipe inserts to hold everything in place. It was really trick looking..

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I always make racks for cans and other thing out of angle iron and mesh this way everything is organized.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

My welder built aluminum racks on the sides to the enclosed trailer to hold rakes, shovels, etc. I have hooks inside to hold the blowers, trimmers and D-handle shovels. I have shelves in the front of the trailer, and found some plastic bins that flower bulbs come in. I have all the spare tires, trimmer line, spare parts, tools, oil, etc. in those bins. They are maybe 16"X24" and 8" high, they are perfect for my trailer. Still have to work on getting everything organized. Lots of times when we are busy, stuff just gets thrown all over the place. Oh well, winter project.

7. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Do you have any pictureso fyour trailer? was it hard to build those racks?
    Thanks

8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I saw in a thread one guys trailer set up he did with PVC that looked good. The cost is what you really have to determine. Off the shelf sure is nice. I still have a Jungle Jim catalog but most of the stuff we used we had made or made ourselves. Don't have any pictures of the stuff or I'd post em.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

jreiff- I will go take some pictures on Monday. Still haven't cleaned or organized it, it looks like a disaster, but you'll get the idea. As far as building them, if you are handy with a welder, it is no problem.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

For our pickup, we had a rear window expanded metal screen made, with a tool rack to store both straight handle & "D" handle tools We also added 18" sides out of expanded metal so it can hold more materials. Trailers have trimmer racks, top crate for bloweers & lunches, we enclosed the tow w/ metal for gas cans, sprayer & milk crate w/ edger blades, mixed oil, small hand tools, added a spool holder as well as water cooler holder.