metal edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Woody82986, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am putting together an estimate for a woman who wants approximately 1,400 sq feet of sod cut out and 525 ft of metal edging installed around several beds and around her house. The sod cutter rental is $100 for two days and I get the edging for $450. I am the only one who will be working the job. The area is flat. Literally all I have to do is cut up and take out the sod, and install the edging. If it were you how much would you charge in addition to the $550 for materials. There is 1.5 hours of drive time involved.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

$300 to remove Sod, Then I charge $2.00 Per Foot for Metal Edgeing = 1050+ 550 Materials Grand Total Of $1900

Good Luck

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Can't see the place but I would figure out how long it will take you to do the job and add how much you make daily to your materials. If I were doing sod removal and installing edging I would charge $400-500 day plus a markup or fee on disposal of all that sod. Depends on how close I had to carry sod across yard, how thick it was and how meticulous the customer was about everything. Usually I work solo but I would probably look to find a helper with carting the sod off at least since that is pretty much just grunt work and can't be screwed up. I've just gotten to be that way this year in that I will only use help if it is something that can't be screwed up and is quite repetitive.

4. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

Weatherman, do you get $2.00 per foot on top of the price of the edging or is the price of the edging included in the $2.00 per foot? I charge the cost of the edging plus $1.00 per foot. The lucky thing is that I can pretty much just back a trailer up to where I am cutting out the sod. Just cut and chuck.

5. WeatherMan

$2.00 on top of the cost. the shlt takes time to instal

6. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

Thanks for the reply weatherman. Does anyone else have any input to this?

7. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I charge the same as you for metal edging in the Dallas area. Sorry I cant help much on the sod cutting, I've never cut one that big. Just curious though, what kind of sod is that? If it is bermuda, my experience is that it will grow back next year like it was never cut. Where do you dump that much sod?

Bryan

8. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

I dump my leaves and sod in a spot on some land my family owns. It is Bermuda but it is really thin stuff so I think it might be okay. I told her that there was a possibility that it could grow back fairly quickly if she or I didn't do something about keeping it out of the bed.

9. WeatherMan

good luck:D

10. Woody82986

from DFW, TX

thanks, I think I might need it on this one. I have installed miles of this stuff before around my place and my parents and grandparents places but I have never done an installation for a client before and needed to know what the going rate is for it. thanks