Metal Gas Cans and Condensation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pinnacle, Nov 5, 2003.

1. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a metal gas can latley (don't want to hear about metal and static and the risks they pose) But I now have two Z's that are surging a bit and I'm thinking that prehaps when a metal gas can is left in the sun on my truck "condensation" will appear leaving WATER in my gas. This is right............isnt it :confused:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I think that would only apply if you took out from the cold into the heat if they been on the trailor awhile I don't believe its from condesation just m/o ???are they new if not its just dirt and crud

Mac

3. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

pinnacle you are on the right track.

any metal can will get condensation due to heat changes. ie. night and day.
    i had two jerry cans mounted to my spare tire rack on my jeep and had to learn the hard way when i ran out of fuel in the jeeps tank. i liked to have never got back home. when i dropped the tank to clean out the fuel, i found that there was probably two quarts of water in the tank.
    have used plastic every since and no problems yet.

4. pinnacle

Yeh I don't know about that?? The reason I think this is cause theres no presure release on the metal cans and they sit in the Aussie sun for 8 hours at a time......so....??

The cans are new and are dirt and crud free.

5. pinnacle

Mmm...........Looks like I'll be going out to get a new PLASTIC jerry today......................Thanks lawndoctorllc.........greatly appreciated!!

As for the surging on my Z's how can I deal with water in the fuel system?:

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I was going to buy some of metal "safety cans" but now I dont know. I hate the way my plastic ones swell up like a rotten pig carcas if I forget to vent them.

7. LawnPerfect

pinnacle the only way to do it and to do it right is to drain the tanks and hoses.
    really not that time consuming or difficult.

8. pinnacle

Would the water in the system only effect the preformance or would It damage my units?? ie carb, rings etc

Cause there only surging slightly and am thinking that I might just rum em dry and change the filtters. Would that do any fatal damage?

locutus: Yeh mate I thought the metal cans would be great too cause I have had the same issues as you but we now know metal is not the go................. shame really.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

OK I can agree to above statement but now I have a ? Ivé been using a metal can for 20 yrs I take it from a heated shop and fill up the atv and some other small equip in winter with snow flying. set it down and go do what I gotta do. I come back fill up out of same can and off I go again and I've never had any problems?

10. LawnPerfect

olderthandirt you bring up a very good question.
    the metal jerry cans that i used to have on the jeep were not used very often. maybe that is why i would get condensation.
    when i filled the jeep tank after running out of gas in the woods, i thought that i may have gotten just bad gas, but when i asked on the jeep boards the first question that was asked of me is what kind of jerry cans do i run.