Metal in oil/5 hour change

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Daryl H, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Daryl H

Daryl H LawnSite Member

I just changed the oil in my new Exmark HP. It has the 23 HP Kohler. The oil seemed to have a lot of metal (silver particles) it it. Is this normal? I talked to my dealer and he says it is but I have never seen this in any of my other engines. I intend to change the oil and filter again after 10 hours just to see if it is still there.

Thanks for any help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Daryl,

It's hard to say if "a lot" is normal or "a lot" is too much but that is why they recommend that you change it at 5 hours.

In that 5 hour period the engine "breaks in" or better wording would be "wears in". What must happen is all those shiny smooth surfaces on the rings, bearing etc. must become a little scuffed and this scuffing removes a little bit of metal which is carried away by the oil and dumped into the bottom of the crank case. The initial oil change also flushes the engine of any left over debris from the machining of the engine block and other components.

More than likely if you feel it is excessive it's just a little garbage left over from the manufacturing process. The good news is that the oil's got to go through the filter before the debris is going to be pumped back through the system.

You should be in pretty good shape.

Thanks

Terry

3. Daryl H

Daryl H LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I am going to change the oil and filter again after 10 hours just to see whats there. Its a small price to pay for a little peace of mind.

Again thanks for the reply.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Daryl,

Great idea. Too many guys want to save a few buck and it costs them later. Just for kicks you should see if the metal particles will stick to a magnet. That may help diagnose with a little more certainty what they are.

Thanks

Terry

5. Daryl H

Daryl H LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the magnet trick to see if its steel or not. I'll let you know the out come. Thanks again.