Metal leaf rakes, are they all junk?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn and stump, May 1, 2001.

1. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

Is it just us? the rakes now seem to have crap wood handles
    that last about 4hrs and the tines seem to have no temper they bend back and don't return. I have tried Tru-value and
    even the so called commercial ones at the nursery looked bad. A while ago a had some fiberglass handle ones from Costco that were decent but they keep changing brands.
  2. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Up here in Canada their is a store called Canadian Tire.I love buying hand tools their becouse they have a 2 year warranty on all their tools and I have seen some snow shovels with lifetime warranty's on them.I have bought about 5 rakes in the past 6 years and still am using 3 of those.

This winter I bought 5 snow shovels from that store and all 5 are now toast.I'll be going and getting a hole new set of shovels for free this winter thanks to the warranty. I love that store!

Maby you should look for rakes with warrantys on them and get 2 for the price of 1 if it breaks during the warranty period.

Hope that helps!
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i broke two huge plastic leaf rakes in a few weeks. it always snapped where the handle and pole meet. i have a few smaller metal rakes and they work good, but they arent as big as the plastic ones.
  4. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta love crappy tire. The best part is the funny money they give out!
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Since this is a rake thread, I'll add what happened today. We found a brand new dirt rake along the road at a customers lawn today. It still had all the stickers and the steel teeth were all still shiny and new looking. It is a commercial grade rake and is very heavy duty. I have found used tools before, but never new ones. :)
  6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Man I was wondering where I put that!

I got this route that thakes me through the piedmont, Clemson, through IL, and into Janesville, WI....

Now that I think about it, I hit pothole about where you found my rake!

7. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

I been using Ames Kodiak rakes with the plastic frame and steel tines and it seems to be doing great. You can get them less than $6 at Lowes and HD. As for the handles, most are now made of a cheap wood called Ramin from overseas.
  8. jay

jay LawnSite Member

cRAFTSMAN LIFETIME WARRANTY RAKES WORK GOOD, BUT THERE a little stiff. (the fiberglass ones)
  9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Picked up about 4 last week. They were half price :)
  10. lawn and stump
    Have you ever used the "Flex Rake" brand(yellow handle with green tined head). That's all we have ever used. They last us anywhere from 3 to 6 months of constant use. I will say this though, the Flex Rakes of today are nothing like yesteryear. At least those old rakes would last at least a year. Cost for the wide tines is around 10.99 @ Home Depot and around $14 for the wide skinny type.