metal supplier

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by jeffyr, May 6, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Where do you guys buy your sheet metal/angle iron/flat stock,square and round stock/extruded mesh, etc.
    I have not found a cheap enough place near me (NJ) and it seems that the prices of metal are too high. What is the going price for some small stock?

Thanks

jeffyr

2. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I generally get small stock from a surplus yard. larger orders I then get them from a local supplier. Usually with steel suppliers there is a minimum order ( last time it was $650)

3. jeffyr

could you explain racerdave---surplus yard ?
    Is that like a junkyard ?

jeffyr

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Get to know the local ironworker. Mine is right next to my shop. He has a cut bin that he lets me go through and if I need larger pieces he will include it as part of his order. Most of the small stuff he has no use for anyway.

5. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

The surplus guys buy alot of the discarded stock from manufacturers and resell it. It's cheaper most of the time but you should always watch the prices. They will also buy Quantities from suppliers and resell them by the pound or foot depending on what the material is. Take a look in the yellow pages under surplus and let me know what u find
    David

6. jeffyr

Thanks Dave---I'll look

7. Catcher

Catcher LawnSite Member

Jeff,
    check with your local steel supplier. Many times factories will order 2foot of angle iron, they cut 2feet off and have an 18 foot bar left over which is now a 'drop'. I've been able to buy all new steel from drops for my projects; usually paying around 15cents to 25 cents a pound. Depending on the size of supplier you'll find tube, flat, structural, aluminum and stainless there.

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I found that there alot of distributors of steel around, but there is no need to advertise for them because they sell in quantity. If like most have said here, ask nicely, they may have stuff that has been slightly damaged or not sellable for them and they may just want to get rid of it.

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Check in your local yellow pages under steel or recycling. Try to find steel salvage yards who sell "used" stock. You may have to hunt a little through a yard, but the prices will be much, much lower than new stock.

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, I guess it depends on what I need the stock for. You are right, it is expensive here in NJ. There are many places in Newark. I get box steel from Newark, but it is expensive. I have resorted to grabbing steel anywhere I can. It might sound dumb, but I grab any piece I can, that has any usable part to it. I grab any bed frames from the trash I see. It's free angle iron. Twin beds, King size, any size. I have a friend that is a mason, and when I go to his job sites on ocassion, I take what I can from the site dumpster. Often the steel workers will just leave their scraps on the ground, so I pick up what I can. Sheet metal (galvanized steel), I have gotten from Eastwood Co. out in PA, they ship it to NJ in a few days. I am talking pieces 2' X 3', 18ga.

I used to work at a school, and I would take steel that was headed for the dumpster from there as well. Old weight lifting benches, shelves, racks, pipes, etc. I even got a few sheets of stainless, that were the back of the old cafeteria serving line. Have you ever priced a sheet of 16 ga. 304 stainless 3' X 8'??

The best time to come across steel, is when towns have "bulk" trash pick up day. Here, it's the second pick up day of the week, twice a month. I find steel curbside all over the place.

You'd be amazed at what some people have thrown out.

But like I said, it depends on what you need the steel for. Some times, you have to buy new. Even Home Cheapo has high prices on angle iron. Most of my projects, and modifications to equipment, have been done with "free" materials, from someone else's trash.

~Chuck
    (aka garbagepicker, packrat)