1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by gqnine44, Feb 14, 2006.

1. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

I am just working on my website and trying to learn about metatags. Is there a way to go to a competitor's website and see what metatags they are using?

Is it a good idea to have your city name in your page title? For example, I would think people in my area would search: Cincinnati lawn care, or, Cincinnati Lawn Mowing. Tonight I set up those words or phrases in my metatags and included my city and company name on my page titles. I also used words like: landscaping, mowing, snow removal, etc. in my metatags. Am I on the right track? Thanks for your help!
  2. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I think having the city in the title helps, mine is still new so it is hard to say. If you right click on a page and go to view source you can see the meta tag keywords on most pages. Just make sure that you use your keywords in the text on the page. I think I read that Google does not really look at keywords but I believe others still do so it is worth putting them in.
  3. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

To get an example of someone's META Tags, do a right click on the page and then click view source. Here is an example:

meta name="keywords" content=" lawn, grass, mowing, lawn care, lawn mowing, cutting grass, cutting lawns, lawn cutting, mowing grass, landscape, lawns, Cincinnati, Cincinnati lawn care, Cincinnati maintenance, landscaping, landscaper"

Put you company name as the title for the page and also in you meta tags. Try to think how someone will search it and use that in your tags. Also try to use those words in the first paragraph if you can. Have them in you Meta Tags on lower case an also start them with a capital letter. Add in any other items that you offer such as fertizing, mulch, edging..........
  4. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

ECS, I think it helps to make the title a little descriptive as well in addition to having your company name, that is actually not even first on mine. When I do a search for my site the title has keywords in it that are highlighted.
  5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I agree. One should also use:
    META NAME="description" CONTENT="a brief description of site which should also be in your first couple of sentences or in your first paragraph."
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just as a heads up, on your keywords tag, focus hard on the first two words, pay a little attention to the third and you can technically forget about the rest. In that sense, maybe focus on location because it will be hard to rank high for, say 'lawn, care.' But maybe 'city, lawn, care' stands a chance, or something to that effect.

As for me, all my keyword tags have 2 or 3 key words in them, I don't even bother with it beyond that because it doesn't seem to make a difference... But, I guess it doesn't hurt, except...

Whatever you do, please resist the temptation to repeat yourself inside a tag (repeated keywords of any kind, etc). I find it acceptable to have the same keyword, say one in your title and the same one in your description and again once in the keywords, ok... But not three times within the same tag (such as saying 'stony point lawn care services lawns and does lawn work), I find this would be unacceptable use of keyword spam.

title: 'mycounty lawn care'
    description: 'provides lawn care and related services for mycounty.
    keywords: 'mycounty, lawn, care'

That's pushing it, so it's as far as I would go with it.

Hope that helps.