1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

meter cost

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by lawnsunlimited6, Feb 19, 2012.

1. lawnsunlimited6

lawnsunlimited6 LawnSite Member

meter cost continue to rise around here, 1000.oo for extra 1'' meter or double sewer charge to hook up to exsiting......
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are you saying they want $1000 for a meter downstream of the existing one, that is used to deduct from the main meter reading?
  3. the last one we had done a few years ago was $650.
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've always believed in deduct meters, instead of irrigation being lumped into the sewer surcharge. Most of my purveyors resisted on resi systems, and were even hard to convince for commercial. It would take a CPA to figure the $ gain over the years vs. the cost of the deduct, but I've always thought it was worth it. A 1" meter is a big mother, and most purveyors freak out when one is suggested. As Matt's recent episode proves, a deduct meter is a cool way to tell if the excessive water bill is coming from irrigation or a leaky toilet.
  5. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

That's nothing. last year I installed a system that called for 3 2" wet taps with accompanying meters. The purveyor in the town (the township controlled the water), tried to assess what they called a "heavy use fee" to the tune of $50,000 for all 3. The property owner fought it, and got it reduced to around 25K, which i still thought was a lot.
  6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

In NC if you live in a more populated county your sewer charge is determined by your metered water use. It cost's $750 for a 3/4 tap. A deduct meter used for irrigation will pay for itself in about 3-4 year's.
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ahhhh, the good old days, when a town I knew of would do a separate street tap for a one-inch curbside meter, with pit and cover included, for the low low price of $250
  8. lawnsunlimited6

yes , water co. sets next to exsiting
  9. lawnsunlimited6

little cheaper cost in county,also required 30'' from meter to backflow,which 99% of the time we have to elbow down 12'' from meter to get passed inspection and no heads or lines outside of sidewalk!
  10. When I started you could get a 1.5" meter at about that cost. No mas.

Even if you don't find a deduct meter feasible cost wise it still seems smart to me to put in flow meter to able to diagnose water issues between the irrigation and other water usage.