methane??

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by treegal1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

any one have any expertise with methane generators for fuel and a source of fertilizer?????

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Nope, I do know that the practice has been used for a long time in California in landfills. It is slowly moving around the country but I saw the "experimental" use of it in the late 80's in California. Pales Verdes landfill I do believe outside LA

Source of fertilizer? got me on that one

BTW have you noticed that there is almost no one from CA on this forum, Kiril for sure but name one more. Maybe its like china where they don't allow them on the internet outside their state

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty difficult to 'capture' methane from rotting materials. We have a system of capturing the heat from rotting materials. Hot water running through black hoses is something we can do.

Capturing an invisible gas in pure enough form, then , presurrizing it to the point of usablility in the typical 'gas furnace' , is a bit beyond the interest of your typical home owner.

ICT - I hear what you are saying about 'censorship' of the internet. It is popping up everywhere!?!?!?!!
    Earlier we were talking about info for 'FREE" now we are talking about info 'AT ALL".

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

5. treegal1

for my interest we are going to use a tractor inner tube as a bladder and 3 barrels, the pressure will be at or around 2-2.5 psi from what i understand its the same pressure as a stove uses or central NG in a home, natural nothing done, from the tank its 75% methane and 23 % co2 with 2% other gases. I want it for a charcoal retort inside a green house( to collect the co2 and recapture it in an elaborate system of "nature"

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You mean like fish tacos and chili cheese fritos?

7. treegal1

not exactly, but the waste from that will work. then one of these.

robbdigester.jpg

8. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

HAHAHAHA That's great!

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I don't even want to know where that plugs in!

No seriously, I understand how you could capture the methane from the materials, but how does one utilize it as fertilizer?

10. treegal1

you guys from utah ever get snow?? what would free heat all winter do for you $$$ wise, or free power all year and when your done a pile of free fert????

fish taco's who would eat that???