1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Method for installing stairs against foundation

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

After this point we took down the deck ledger board and put a waterproofing membrane on from the door down the brick and yes I know it doesn't go all the way down. The brick didn't go to the ground and sat on an angle iron ledge without any weepholes. It had been there for 20 years or more. We did build a wall infront of the basement window though. I don't know for sure or have seen it proved but can there really be much water going down by the brick when the patio slopes away and the overhang and gutters keeping the water from dripping onto the patio? Anyone have seen a problem with this? I have seen houses with the brick facade buried in soil at the foundation level and have not seen deteriorating brick.
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I also put geogrid in my stairs construction.
  3. Gilmore.Landscaping

Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Its not like a flowing stream of water behind the brick but condensation and moisture buildup between the brick and wood backer board with can lead to mold and rot.