Methods of Overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RAlmaroad, Jan 31, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

In the past I've used 20lb of Sand and about 3 huge cups of fine saw dust mixed with the seed to overseed going lengthwise; then crosswise. The Sawdust lets me see where the seed has fallen. I've also just used sand and seed and sowed the lawn in the early morning when it is dew-laden and used the tracks from the spreader to see and guage the coverage--not bad. This year I may cut the Sand down to about 10lb and mix with the starter fertilizer and of course the Sawdust. Does anyone have any better ideas for overseeding? I don't have a drop spreader and know that it does a better job of seeing where you've been. Thanks

2. RAlmaroad

from SC

Yea, forgot to mention that the seed is centipede--extremly fine and costly.

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a drop seeder. I did not like it i was spreading perineal rye. I dont have a very expensive drop spreader, just a cheap scotts one. It didnt put out enough seed to make me happy. I can seed much faster with a broadcast spreader. Do the more expensive drop spreader put down alot more seed?

4. RAlmaroad

from SC

I don't have a drop seeder--only a sturdy broadcast type. The only thing I can see is that the drop seeder may let you see where you've been. That's why I put in the sawdust or use it early in the morning when the dew let's me see the tracks from the broadcaster. Thanks, Roy

5. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The only advantage of a drop spreader is that you can get right up around flower beds and edges without spraying seed into them whcih you can do if you are careful with a broadcast spreader