1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Methods to deal with dollarweed

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by marshdawg, Apr 24, 2011.

1. marshdawg

marshdawg LawnSite Member

I have been using celsius with a sticker at the recommended rates. I am seeing some yellowing and curling, yet some seem to be fine. They are very thick in two properties I have and I hit them about 3 weeks ago. I know they are very tough to get rid of. Should I add some quicksilver in? I would like to hear some success stories and recommendations from you guys. What works for you???? Thanks
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a plan.
  3. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

back off the irrigation
  4. Plantculture

Plantculture LawnSite Member

+1 Back off irrigation and Certainty herbicide
  5. Yup, too much water....not sure what my spray company uses but they smoke dollarweed within a couple of days....
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

While it takes a lot of water to establish Dollar weed, Once established Dollar weed will still grow without excessive water. BTW there is no pre emerge that works on Dollar Weed to my knowledge. However it seems to me that just about any Herbicide will kill dollar weed.
  7. Yup, I noticed that too. What puzzles me is why some properties will get dollarweed vs others that get torpedo....
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Control of Torpedo Grass in St Augustine is an other Ric Trick just like Bermuda Control in St Augustine. BTW two totally different Herbicide mixes.
  9. Trust me Ric I wasn't asking for your potion as I know your taking it to the grave, just curious why some yards get one vs other in an overwatered or a standing water situation...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure either. Torpedo Grass is a real problem in Aquatic work and can be found around all ponds. However I have also seen Torpedo Grass survive nicely in Dry areas. It can take over a St Augustine yard and looks very much like St A. However it is so fibrous it will not Mulch and clumps on the yard. Many years ago when I had a Bagging mowers, Torpedo Grass looked great when cut.