1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro 21" Does Not Start

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by 2006Silverado, Sep 14, 2007.

1. 2006Silverado

2006Silverado LawnSite Member
    from GA

Have a fairly new Metro 21, w/Kawasaki engine. Have only used a couple times, and each time it was a chore getting it to start. Now it will not start at all. Gas, checked plug wire it's on securely...Pulls fine, throttle is choked...Nothing...

My first thing was going to be to replace spark plug, any other suggestions? What's the best way to see if it's even getting a spark?

Kinda disappointing considering how much this thing costs and to have problems with it already :-(
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

take the spark plug out of the engine and put it back in the black boot. put the metal tip end of the spark plug against somthing metal on the engine and have someone give a moderate pull on the starter cord. you should see spark in the gap on the plug. if not i'll tell you what all it could be.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike gave good advice on how to check for spark, the one thing I would add is ensure you're using an insulated set of pliers to hold the plug...you'll probably get a pretty good 'wake up call' if you don't. My guess is you'll have good spark.

Fairly new, little used machine; my guess is going to be that it's a fuel issue. First thing I'd check is ensure that the choke is fully engaging. These engines need to be choked in order to start...especially if it hasn't ran in the last hour or so.

The next would be fuel quality. I know it's been said on here plenty of times, but I think it's worth repeating...today's fuels just aren't what they were 10 years ago. Fuel sitting more than 30 days should have some type of stabilizer in it. If fuel has sat in a machine for an extended amount of time, you may need to flush it and/or add an additive. I'm not endorsing anything, but I've heard of guys having real good luck with SeaFoam.

I hope this helps.

If not, let us know.