Metro 21

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Shadetree Ltd, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

During the Christmas holidays we had our equipment trailer stolen and lost 6 mowers. We are in the process of replacing them and wanted to keep them all Exmark. We still have an older 36" TTHP, bought a new 48"TTHP and a 52" Lazer Z HP. We need 4 21" BBC equiped mowers. Last year we had all Toros and want to replace them with the Exmark. Problem is that both our dealer Northwest Mower and Supply and their distibutor Barrett Marketing say that the 6 HP Kawasaki Metro with BBC is no longer avaiable to them. They had one in stock that we grabbed, but that leaves three more we need. While we don't mind the Toro (and the differences are almost negligible between the Exmark and Toro 21's) we thought it would be nice to have a matching fleet. Any help on this? Are the Kawasaki's no longer available? Any possibility of filling our order with our dealer? We must have the BBC and the 6 HP Kawasaki so that eliminates the other Metro 21 models. Thanks for your time.

Scott

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Scott,

I'll do some checking and see when we can get the first available bbc unit up to our friends in the North. I should know something by late Friday.

Thanks

Terry

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Shadetree,
    Does that BBC work good, and does it hold up well. I am getting ready to buy an Exmark 21" and wanted the BBC. Two local Exmark/Toro dealers have told me to stay away from the BBC model. They say the BBC system is a continuous maint. problem. both want to sell me the non BBC model. What has your experience been with the Toro/Exmark BBC. Thanks:confused:

4. Shadetree Ltd

Mowingman,

I had used the Honda HRC 215 and 216's for a decade before I was ready for a change. Late 2001 we demo'd a Toro with the 6hp Kaw and the BBC and loved it. All five Hondas were traded in for four Toros at the beginning of last season. We cut so many townhouses with little backyards that we require the BBC. It would not make sense for us to use any other. I was told that there may be some issues with it but I never experienced any with the 4 Toros we ran last year. We use them approx. 20-23 hours a week for 40-44 weeks straight. As a preventative measure we replaced the belts every year and grease them regularily. So far so good, a ton more productive than a Honda and much heavier duty then the John Deere JX85 that we demo'd for a month last year. While I like them, I do not have years of flawless service and experiencewith them to relate yet. The only differences between the Toro and Exmark I have noticed are that the Exmark does not have the plastic mulching baffles, the deck clean out port and the gear selctor is different. The baffles we remove before we even used the mowers, the deck clean outs were not used once last year, and the Toro gear selector has a tendancy to bind and kink the cable. Our dealer replaces the hand opereated selector with the foot one like the Exmark uses once this happens.

Scott

5. eXmark

Mowing man,

I did some checking and it's unlikely that we will be able to get another Metro 21 with Kawasaki power up to Canada. We've let our stock of these units run extremely low because we are switching over to Honda power on all of the Metro 21's. The new engine is a strong 5.5 hp and breezed through our durability tests.

It is possible to get you one of the Kawasaki powered units but it could take some time before the next truck load of equipment goes to our friends up north. Otherwise the freight for one 21" mower is going to be a little pricey.

Send me a pm at terry.eckert@exmark.com if you would like me to make the arrangements.

Thanks

Terry

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Terry,
    That was actually Shadetree,(Scott), that needed one up in Canada. I am in Texas and there are plenty of them here. I was asking about the reliability of the BBC. Am I to understand that the Kawasiki engine will no longer be used? If so, I need to buy real quick, as I do not care for the Honda engines. From my experience, they do not have the "guts" to lug through heavy cutting like the Kawasiki engines do. I feel Exmark is making a big mistake changing to Honda. Reliable? Yes. Good for tough mulching conditions?NO!NO!NO!:)

7. Shadetree Ltd

What is the availiblity going to be for the new 21's with the Honda? The only four stroke engines we own are Honda except for the Exmark machines. They do make an outstanding small HP engine. Aerator, power raker, blade edger and sprayer were all bought with a Honda or switched to a Honda while brand new.

Scott

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Geez, why couldn't you guys report that earlier about the 5.5hp Honda engine? Your web site doesn't mention it, nor does anything in your new catalog. I've got a Toro 21" on order (for the last 6 weeks) with the 6 hp Kawasaki, but would have gladly gotten or waited for for the 21" Metro with the Honda. . .

When will you start shipping them out? Are they in the distribution chain now? I need a new 21" now! We mow most of the year down here in TX.

Geez.

9. eXmark

Guys,

We've not been promoting the Honda very heavily at all because we didn't want to create too much demand before they were available.

There have been some delays in production due to the shear volume we're talking about. We may rapidly become one of Honda's largest customers for this engine and it takes time to gear up for such a large production. I assure you Honda and Exmark are working very hard to ensure that these units hit the market as quickly as possible however it may be the end of April before full production begins.

Thanks

Terry