Metro 26" mulching abilities?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowjeep, Aug 29, 2007.

1. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if anyone with the non problem 26's mulch with them? And how well they do? I have read they bag well but how well do they discharge? Do they spead the grass well or leave clumps and stripes?

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

we never mulched with ours, sorry.

3. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Its not good for mulching,:dizzy: I bought the mulching kit it was $85.00 a waste of $:nono: it leaves clumps.:hammerhead:

4. Fadedsun

Fadedsun LawnSite Member

Probably won't mulch well from what I've read.

5. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will keep looking.

6. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

The Metro 26" can't mulch...period. I had one of the first ones that came out in May of 2005 and it was awful. They're are two big reasons why it can't mulch well:
    1. Deck shape...it's flat not round...which doesn't allow the clippings to circulate enough.
    2. Engine size is too small. 6 hp is barely adequate on a 120 lb 21" mower. Now you are asking the same engine to push 40 more pounds and turn a 5" longer blade. It can't happen. The unit really needs an 8 or 9 hp engine but that would make it too heavy.

When I tried to mulch with it, it was adequate if the grass was dry and you were taking off only a 1/2" but from if the grass was wet and/or thick...forget it....the engine would completely shut off.

All in all, the metro 26" is one of the worst machines ever made and Exmark should be ashamed of having taken so many people's money for this unit. By the time Exmark took my unit back, I had lost $500 on it.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It doesnt mulch well unless you do like joed says...grass dry, or buzzing the top. The Metro does however bag well...as long as you are not taking too much off. I think I am going to increase the RPM's on my engine next season to see if it helps with the power...I cannot take mine back so I may as well use it. I used it this past weekend to remove leaves from a customers property and it did really well...but after using my Toro T2 the Metro 26" is like using one of those hand brush whackers to cut the grass!!