1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro 26"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by K-OS, Apr 11, 2006.

1. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

Well my dealer finally got eXmark. Now he is selling the 26"ers like crazy. Does anyone have comments on this machine? I remeber a little while ago it had issues, are they resolved?

How does it cut wet grass?

How does it mulch?

Is the engine underpowered for it's size?

How's the durability?

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer just told me that they are not getting anymore of the Metro 26's until Exmark steps up and completely fixes all the problems with them. Even then he said it would be a while before they get them just to be sure. They have done the upgrades to the ones they have sold and they still have upset customers. I wanted one but they said they could not sell me something that they did not believe was yet a solid durable machine. They told me to check back next spring.
  3. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

wow! now thats an honest dealer!

My dealer is really pushing these machines to their customers. I never owned an exmark, let alone try one, but from what I can tell they are great machines. Every company has a bad apple.

How is the cutting? Can anyone answer my other questions?

Thanks TurfDancer

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

I heared the engine is slightly weak with heavier grass and struggles. Just what I heared though
  5. Thistle

Thistle LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I own one and NEVER use it. Its prety much useless.
  6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

I can say that thank god we didn't get any in before they stopped selling them last year. They had a ton of issues but they are all fixed.

We are selling them like crazy this year, to both consumer and commercial cutters.

One issue We have found is the BBC cable is coming in from the factory WAY TOO TIGHT, causing the spring on the end of the cable to snap prematurely. This happened on 1 machine and the techs are addressing it during set up and I have made Exmark aware of the situation.

Otherwise, no complaints.

I would like to see them make the bbc control out of something heavier than plastic. Aluminum maybe. Otherise my customers love them.

At just shy of 1500 bucks, great alternative to buying a 32" Metro for people that can't afford it, or dont' have the room on the trailer.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought my early last year. It did have some problems which I will list;

The drive cable broke at the handle. The update kit had a new design which seems much better.

The drive belt would jump off the pulleys. The update kit fixed this problem.

The BBC would hang up occasionally. The screw that holds it together was overtightened.

Hard to find second and third gear sometimes. A little better this year but not much.

The rear wheel adjustment would jump out of the notch. It still did this year until I came up with a fix. When I get to my dealer I will show it to him and he can tell Exmark about it.

Bags very well. Mulch's OK if in dry grass and not to thick.

I think the Kawasaki has enough power if you are bagging anytime. If you are mulching the grass better not be to wet or thick. Then you are in first or second gear.

I mow in third gear 90% of the time.

Overall I think it is a pretty good mower. It is less expensive than a 32 & easier to maneuver.

Mike's Total Lawn Care
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

dealer didn't get any of the first shipments, good thing! the ones they have now are $1400 and are apparently fixed of all of their problems. the reputation of these mowers is completely ruined though IMO
  9. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the early production units were a mess. Exmark themselves will tell you that. Like I said, they fixed all the issues that included...

improved front and rear wheel adjusters,
    belt falling off,
    belt cover wearing from contact with belt,

We sold 2 more this weekend. Customers are all over them.