1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro 32 tire size

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Florida 5 Star, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Florida 5 Star

Florida 5 Star LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just purchased a metro 32" great little mower but I would like to know if I can replace the drive tires with a larger or wider size as they are leaving real bad ruts?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Florida 5 Star,

It is possible to swap out the rear axle as well as the wheels and tires. You could probably stay with the single wide belt and you it might require you to fabricate a spacer for the rear pulley's. Otherwise you would need the idler pulley, transmission output pulley and drive wheel pulley as well as the drive belt.

The problem is that the larger tires will have a wider track than the deck width limiting your trimming ability even more.

My question is, are you "rutting" or "turfing". "Rutting" leaves a continuous low area from the drive tires that often run the full length of the property. "Turfing" is damaged grass at the point you turn, stop or accelerate.

I ran a 32" for several years and really never saw much "rutting" except in extremely wet mowing. Your soil and moisture patterns may contribute to both "rutting" and "turfing".