Metro 36 Belt Drive

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gecole50, Mar 20, 2008.

1. gecole50

gecole50 LawnSite Member

My old Metro is wearing out. I am the second owner of the fabulous cutting machine. The old Command 13 is smoking bad and the transmission is slipping. What engine is recommended as a replacement? I also have never serviced the transmission, not knowing what lubricant to use, and is there a rebuild kit for the transmission available should I need one if adding fresh lubricant doesn't solve the slippage issue?

This machine cuts and mulches beautifully and I hate to put it out of service.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

gecole50,

I believe Kohler still has a similar engine available if you would like to stick w/ that brand. We currently use all 15hp Kawasaki engines on our Metro belt drives. Several of our dealers are also Kohler, and or Kawasaki dealers. They would be able to fix you up. As for the transmission, it is serviceable, but it is also somewhat inexpensive to replace if needed. Again, check w/ your dealer for kits and pricing. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    KC

3. gecole50

gecole50 LawnSite Member

I went this morning to one of our local Exmark Dealers and talked with the parts manager there. I discovered this weekend that it was the belt idler pulley bearings were worn out causing the belt to slip that turns the transmission. Simple easy fix and the replacement pulley was inexpensive.
    I also adjusted the linkage bars so that more pressure was applied to the belts that drive the wheels. Wow what a difference it made. The Peerless Transmission is in great shape. I talk with the Parts manager about my engine, Repacement costs, rebuilding expences, and he also suggested that I consider using my mower 1 more season as is and replacing it with a new unit next year. I am very interested in the Phazer. I looked at 1 this morning with the commercial welded deck. I would have to have 1 with the micro mulch kit. 90 percent of my business have gated back yards and my metro 36 has worked perfectly, fitting thru those gates, as well as giving an excellent cut, and the mulch kit on it is excellent and saves me alot of time. I will be reading the reviews and if the Phazer turns out to be worth the investment maybe i'll get to ride next year instead of walking. LOL

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a phazer I'm selling in excellent condition. It has 68 hrs and is ready to cut. I'm in kenner louisiana. Let me know if interested. $3600 comes with mulch kit and extra blades.

5. gecole50

gecole50 LawnSite Member

Wish I could afford to purchase your Phazer right now but just can't do it atm. Looks great looked at your ad.

Thanks
    George