Metro 48" Belt WB (Reverse Assist) ?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by gadfreak, Jan 19, 2006.

1. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

Hi,

I'm looking at a used Metro 48 " http://www.exmark.com/metrospecs.htm"

For homeowner hard use ... What is reverse assist? YOu have to pull the unit bacakwards? Are belt drives good on grade contours>?

Thanks

Gad Freak

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Reverse assist is just that, It only helps you back up it a tight spot. For the most part you have to pull it back. a 48" belt drive will go anywhere, just as long as it's dry. Once the belts get wet, it will only mow the flat stuff well.

3. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I ran a 32' belt drive all summer and to back it up on any small small incline sucks! I cant imagine a 48".

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Toward the end of the day seems like a Metro 48 will work you pretty hard backing it up, even on flat ground, takes some effort.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, thats exactly what it is, an assist. The belts slip, thus it doesn't have enough 'strength' to move itself. The reason being is that its a safety feature so you don't back over yourself.

6. stangman

stangman LawnSite Member

Yeah but the answer to that problem is don't go where you have to back up, just use your trimmer in those spots.

7. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes, but as a homeowner Gad Freak will not experience the fatigue that we do over the course of a long day. I rarely ever use the reverse on my metro. For the most part the belt drive will serve a homeowner fine. However, as already stated once they get wet forget about it.