Metro cutting unevenly

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by HOOLIE, Jun 26, 2004.

1. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 36" Metro, purchased in April '03, which for the past month or so the right side is cutting higher (or less cleanly) than the left.

The problem is much less noticeable with sharp blades. I have checked everything I can think of that might be causing this.

The day that I first noticed it, I had changed the oil & filter, but I don't see how that could cause this.

I have taken it to my dealer once, they thought it was because the front wheel bearing were shot. Replaced those, but the problem is still there.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

-Andrew

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hoolie,

I'd recommend going through the basics first. Double check the spacer set up on the casters and the blades spacers. Check the tire pressure, deck belt adjustment, engine rpms and measure from the blade tips to the ground at 12, 3, 6 and 9 0'clock around the deck. If this doesn't show us where the problem is it should eliminate a few possibilities anyway.

Your dealer can probably check all of these items in fairly short order. A lot of mechanics can hear the difference in engine rpm's, feel if a belt is in adjustment just by moving the engagement lever etc.

Thanks,

Terry

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Terry,

Thanks for the input. I had already ruled out most of those possibilities, so I tried to compensate by adding one spacer under the spindle. This made a big difference- so I lowered the other side as well. Maybe the blade pitch was off on the right side and adding the spacer got it back right. The only problem is with this setup I can only cut at a maximum of 3 1/4".

When the dealer looked at it, they said the right side was about 1/8" higher than the left, for whatever reason.

I'll let you know if the problem resurfaces.

Thanks,

Andrew

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Andrew,

Send me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com with your s/n, name, the name of your dealer and the tech you've been working with and I'll give them a call.

Thanks

Terry