Metro Deck Belt

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Keith, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I took my Lazer in for service today and needed to pick up a deck belt for my 1997 Metro 36" That dealer didn't have one, so I stopped at another dealer with the part number I was given at the first dealer. The number was 323733. I get home and search the Exmark site and notice that number is listed for newer models, but mine calls for a 323299. Is there a problem using the newer belt?

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

match them up and see if they are the same size. if they are then it shouldnt be a problem. probably just a manufacturers improvement in design or something.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Keith,

Your are correct. The belt you received is for a unit with a serial number 220,000 or higher.

I would recommend that you take it back. The new belt has a slight change in construction to accommodate a change in the mower deck. The newer deck has a brake pad that stops the blades from spinning when you disengage the PTO.

On your machine the belts stops the blades from spinning. Two things are possible when using the new style belt on an old machine. First the blades spin longer after disengagement. This is primarily a safety concern and for this reason the new belt should not be used on an older machine. It's also possible that the new belt could be thrown off one of the pulleys when disengaging and them upon re-engagement the belt is cut snapped or damage.

The dealer shouldn't have a problem returning the belt. Let me know if you need any other assistance or if you would like me to contact the dealer for you.

Thanks,

Terry

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Oops...too late. It's already on the mower. It was an emergency. I'll just have to replace it later. That's why I always try to have my part numbers when I go to the dealer, LOL :)