Metro died

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by OhioMowerGuy, Apr 25, 2004.

1. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

On wednesday I bought a 52'' TTHP 17 kaw and 36'' Metro 12.5 kaw brand new and I had tiny tachs installed on both. The 2 mowers cut great. The TTHP is awesome with no problems. The Metro on the other hand is different. After 1 hour of use yesterday, it died while mowing. I had a good helper using it so it wasnt operator error. Its getting a spark and it still wont start. It didnt hit anything or wasnt going through deep grass at all. Another thing about the Metro is that the model numer is M3613kac; It has a 12.5 kaw engine, what's that all about? Thanks in advance

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

OhioMowerGuy,

First if the mower is brand new I would take it back to the dealer ASAP. There's no point in spending your time fixing something that quite possibly is our responsibility to fix.

If you've got spark I would suspect fuel. I would look at the fuel filter, maybe even replace it. I would also look at the fuel itself. It's possible that you may have some fuel with excessive amounts of water in it. It's starting to look like this may be another bad year for water in fuel. You can also place a small dish under the carburetor and loosen the screw in the bottom of the fuel bowl. This may allow any debris or water in the bowl to run out into the bowl. After you feel you've drained the bowl you can re-tighten the screw and try to start the mower again.

Please remember to be careful when working with any fuel and take appropriate precautions.

Like I said, this may be a warranty item so you might want to take the mower into the dealer rather than try to fix it yourself.

Thanks,

Terry

3. OhioMowerGuy

I went to the dealer and dropped the metro off this morning. They didnt know what was wrong with it so they took it in their shop. They called at 2 in he afternoon and said it was fixed. Im picking it up tomorrow.He left a message on my ansering machine so I didnt hear what was wrong with it yet. The dealer did give me a new 60'' lazer to use while the metro was being worked on, the lazer is a nice machine. I'm not sure if it was fuel or not. When I first filled up my TTHP and Metro I put 2.5 gallons in the TTHP and I put 2.5 gallons in the Metro, the gas was from the same can. The TTHP has had no problems at all. I will find out tomorrrow what the problem was and get back to you. Thanks

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

glad they got it going for you, sounds like you have a good dealer to get it back up that fast and to send a Lazer out as a loaner. you'd be surprised what one little bitty speck of dirt will do.

5. OhioMowerGuy

Terry, Do you know why the model number is M3613kac and it has a 12.5 Kaw engine? I bought it new 8 days ago so its not old.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Ohiomowerguy,

I always wondered about that one myself. It turns out we made that change back in 97 and nobody remembers why for sure.

I suspect it has something to do with some of our computer software however.

We run into the same thing on the Metro 21. Engine options include a 5.5 hp Honda or a 6.5 hp Kawasaki. Both are designated as the number 6 in the model number.

Thanks,

Terry