Metro Hard to Start

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by alfabetsoop, Aug 6, 2001.

1. alfabetsoop

alfabetsoop LawnSite Member

I have a new (this season) Metro 36" with the Kawi 13 HP engine. It is getting harder and harder to start initially when I go out to cut. As a homeowner, it was run once every 4-5 days in the spring, and now once every 7-10 days. Is it because it sits for this long? I counted yesterday, 17 pulls before it started. It runs fine after it starts.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Alphabetsoup,

Anytime you have an engine that is not starting or running properly the first things to check are the air filter, the spark plug and the fuel filter. There are a few adjustments you can check next. You should also double check your starting procedures and be certain the transmission is in neutral and the blade engagement lever is completely in the OFF position.

First the choke adjustment. With all of the "new" engines at this time they are extremely sensitive to choke adjustments. If the choke adjustment is not set exactly right it can be a struggle to start these engines. This is by far the number one cause of poor starting on all recoil start 4 cycle engines today.

You can review the choke adjustment in your operators manual under the "assembly" section. Depending upon when your unit was build it should be in or near section 3.8.1.

You may want to simply replace the spark plug. In many cases, especially when it is cool such as spring or late fall, these engines will start much better on a new spark plug. The old one may look fine but a new one makes a world of difference.

In regards to the fuel filter, it is unlikley that it is already plugged but upon inspection simply make sure it is not plugged.

If these items don't resolve it I would then take the mower to my local dealer for inspection.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i had the same problem on my new toro 36 wit the kawasaki engine the choke cable did not move smoothly and i had to oil it a bit and then the choke wuld work if this doesnt work then take it to your dealer or u could try pushing the idle cable up (this is the choke position) on the engine and pull it quickly and it will start

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

alfabetsoup,

If I was a gambling man I would say that it's a choke issue. I have ran into a few of the same type of issues and 9 out of 10 it's the choke. My 2 cents worth.

Good Luck, Fred.

5. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would go double or nothing with the advice from exmark,as I have adjusted more than one with the cable problem,remove the air filter,put the lever to full choke and see if the butterfly is closed all the way,if not lossen the screw holding the cable and pull it untill the choke closes then retighten

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had this same problem.
    The aforementioned "butterfly" wasn't closing all the way.
    I close it manually now.
    A Fall project might be to tighten my cable.

BTW, it starts on the first pull now! Every time!

7. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the exact same problem on my Metro with a 15hp Kaw. The dealer already adjusted it once. I have been closing it manually too for about a month now. At the end of the season I plan to return it to my dealer for another adjustment.