Metro Hp 36 Caster Wheel

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by LoneStarLawn, Jul 18, 2001.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We are having a problem with the left caster wheel on our 2001 Metro HP. It will not stay inflated and it seems there is not a leak in the tire itself. The wheel seems to be leaking air between the seal of the tire and the wheel. The manual says that the air pressure of the tire should be 22 psi but the tire can hold up to 50 psi. We only put up to 22 but feel this is not enough pressure to hold the seal. What is your advise?

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

LoneStarLawn,
    Take caster tire to a good tire shop & have them put some bead sealer on wheel. It's worked for me in the past. ED

3. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

There's a good chance you have debris or dirt in between the bead of the tire and the wheel.

Check for leak with soapy water along bead. When found deflate the tire, and look for debris along the bead where the leaking was. Clean, reinflate and hopefully problem solved.

A lot less time consuming than pulling wheel, going to tire shop, and having them do the same thing. I've had it happen on both a drive wheel and a caster on my Lazer.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

LoneStar,

Again Ed is right on the money. Most front caster tire leaks are due to bead leaks. The only way to cure them is to have the tire removed by a qualified shop, have the bead cleaned, then re-install the tire and inflate. To assure fewer bead leaks occur use a good grade bead sealer. The other alternative is the new semi-pneumatic wheel and tire assembly that will be standard equipment on most Exmark walk behind mowers next year. You can order p/n 103-1224 from your local dealer and eliminate flats all together.

Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you

Terry

5. LoneStarLawn

Is this pretty standard with a new walkbehind? I would think my dealer would fix the problem with no charge since the equipment is less than a month old.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

LoneStar,

It really depends upon what is causing the leak. As I'm sure you are aware warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship.

The problem is that tires leak for many reasons and with out inspection by your dealer there it would be impossible to determine if the tire should or should not be covered. If it’s defective we want it corrected a soon as possible to prevent further flats.

Fact is all air filled tires will leak at some point. The key is to reduce the number of flats as much as possible. Bead leaks are generally caused by impacts. If the front tire impacts a curb, landscape timber etc at the wrong angle or too severely a small amount of air, or large amount, can be “burped” out at the bead. At the point of impact a small amount of debris such as dirt or grass can be pushed between the tire and the bead. The air in the tire will, in most cases contain a little moisture. The moisture and debris prevent the bead from completely sealing. What usually then occurs is that the tire will loose most of it’s pressure through the night when the mower is not being used.

Have your dealer call me at 402-223-6358 if he has any questions.

Thank you

Terry

7. LoneStarLawn

Yeah I didn't know if it was us or maybe it was common with this machine. The deck on the 36" has the left caster wheel out further than the right so I thought maybe it was common with this deck with the "bumping". Haven't had problems of late but will show it to our dealer to see what he thinks...either way the machine has worked out great.

Thanks for the advice.