Metro HP 36" question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dondinct, May 7, 2004.

1. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

I just went to look at a used Metro HP 36". It's a quality machine but I have a big concern. There is only one anti scalper wheel on the whole deck !!! I look at the Metro HP ads and they all show the 48" unit that has about four anti scalp wheels on the leading egde of the deck. I was suprised that the 36" did not have Any on the front of the deck. I really expected the front deck to have the anti scapl wheels to lift the front of the deck over any roots or humps... that's why I would pay more for the floating deck !! I know it's only a 36" and 'might not need' the rollers, but it seemed to be a very poor trade off for an expensive machine. Any comments ?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dondinct,

You are correct; the 36" has only one roller on one rear corner where the deck is farthest from any wheel touching the ground. A 36" fixed deck can scalp but it's rare with a little stick time and experience. There are other advantages that are often overlooked on the Metro HP.

First the floating deck design offers a much simpler and easier deck height adjustment. The PTO belt has a much simpler engagement adjustment than a fixed deck and it has a built in indicator so you always know if the belt is or is not in adjustment. The Metro HP also has larger drive tires/wheels which are much simpler to remove if ever need to do so. The controls on the Metro HP are also much smoother in part to a little more weight and the increase in drive tire size. Some operators also like the balance of the floating deck 36" over that of the fixed deck but each operator has his/her own opinion.

It may not sound like much but it is also much easier to blow the grass from under the belt shields on the floating deck model. The fixed deck requires removing the belt shield entirely when cleaning debris from the top of the deck. The Metro HP also has a much higher rear frame which makes it easier to get over curbs and you can tilt the front up higher when you want to service the blades or clean the deck.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you,

Terry

3. dondinct

dondinct LawnSite Member
    from CT

Terry
    As usual, you are a wealth of information. I hope Exmark appreciates the fine work you do here !!! I know all of us that visit this forum do ! Keep up the great work.