Metro HP Belts Slipping

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by AltaLawnCare, Jun 5, 2003.

1. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The rt main drive belt on my Metro is slipping excessively....Mower has only 35 hours on it.

I have adjusted the springs to the tightest position...is this normal? The rt side slips a lot more than the left. this is during dry conditions.

Belt dressing helps....could the belt be worn out already?

Thanks.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Altalawncare,

If this a pistol grip model or is it an ECS model?

If it's a pistol grip model you should probably look at the drive linkage adjustment.

If it's a pistol grip or an ECS I'd also look at the drive belt tensioning idler pivot. If it's hanging up or not pivoting properly it may not be allowing the tensioning spring to put enough tension on the belt.

The other thing to look at is the output shaft pulley that drives the belt to the wheel pulley. I had one earlier this year that the setscrew came loose and allowed the pulley to spin on the shaft. If that's the case all you need is to crank it back in with a little lock-tite added. To check it simply watch the pulley (not the shaft or coupler) when you loose drive. If the pulley quits turning but the shaft and coupler keep turning you know the pulley is slipping. It can help to make the pulley and the shaft with chalk or a marking soap stone. That way it's much easier any difference in movement.

Last but not least. If it's not in the adjustment (pistol grip model only) I'd seriously consider taking it into the dealer. 35 hours and loss of drive on one side is probably something we need to address for you.

Thanks

Terry

3. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

i had this same problem but found out it was my fault sort of.. As you may well know the brakes tend to loosen up as you use your machine. My mower rolled back and slammed into my trailer gate and bent one of the handles(pistol grim, I later converted to ECS) It only bent it a little bit but when i squeezed the handle every thing seemed right but the machine wouldnt turn or stop on that side. I finally figured it out and bent it back and it was fine. Sure this is not your problem but you might want to check for something bent.

4. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I pulled the rear tires, and belts off. Then cleaned the pulleys good with a wire brush..to get all the accumulated dirt out, this helped lot.
    The wet conditions are doing some of it.....
    Sure do wish I'd gotten a Hydro!