1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro HP blow out...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by swa240z, Aug 13, 2002.

1. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 2002 48" Metro HP with a mulch kit to mow my own yard. I'm seeing a lot of blow out from the front of the deck. Most of it ends up on the top of the mower, but some of it ends up on me. I cut at a height of 3" and rake of about 3/16". Is there any adjustment that can be made to reduce the blow out? Thanks.

BTW, this thing cuts better than any mower I've ever used. The mulch kit does a great job chopping the clippings into extremely fine pieces.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey swa240z,

Blow-Out with a mulch kit installed is not uncommon, especially during the dry summer months when grass is sparse and lacking moisture. There are some things that can accentuate blow out. For example, if you're using Gator Blades, instead of the blades that came with the mulch kit, they can make blow-out worse because they do almost too good of a job of lifting the grass. If you're using the Gator Blades, switch back to the OEM "bent" mulching blades. Some other things that can make blow-out worse is cutting too high, having damaged baffles under the deck, or having incorrect rake (pitch) in the deck.

In the past, some customers commented that they experienced a bit of blow out after they installed their mulch kit. As a result, we came up with a anti-blow out baffle. Here's the only problem. We only offered the baffle for our 52" and 60" decks. We never made one for the 48" decks.

Even though we don't offer one, this doesn't mean that you can't make one. All it does is lower the lip of the existing flow control baffle by about a 0.5". The baffle I am referring to is the one towards the front of the deck. If you need some help or a picture of the existing baffle for the 52's and 60's, I may be able to get you one. Just e-mail me at dustin.schwab@exmark.com when you can, and we can talk in greater detail.

Here to help,

Dustin Schwab
    Exmark Customer Support
  3. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

Thanks Dustin - you have email.