Metro HP Tire Ruts

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by drive20smoke, Apr 24, 2007.

1. drive20smoke

drive20smoke LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 Metro HP 36" with the 15 Horse KAW that has lately been leaving tire ruts in my mowing pattern. Not divots from turning, but in the normal path of mowing on each side of the swath. I use the mower primarily to access back yards with gates and to mow small town home size yards. I am 6'2, 225lbs and ride a jungle jim velke behind this mower. However, I tried walking instead of standing on the velke and it continues to make the ruts. I have checked and played around with tire pressures, both lower and higher; maintain a sharp edge on both cutting blades, which are brand new and have been used maybe twice; and, have checked the blade height and pitch of the deck, which is neutral, meaning equal height in front and back. I mow at 3.5" and alternate the mowing pattern every other week, i.e. one week straight, next week diagonal. I do have a set of new tires for this mower, but they are not installed. Would this help? Any other suggestions or thoughts on what i might be overlooking would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. drive20smoke

anyone from lawnsite or exmark?

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

try not to cut when it rains and try a 4 or 5 patters instead of two.

4. John Gamba

from ct

I forgot! is your grass too deep?? how high are you cutting?? compared to others in your area

5. drive20smoke

I never cut when it rains or when the grass is wet, not even on morning dew if i can avoid it. The last time i cut, the grass was bone dry. What do you mean by a 4 or 5 pattern instead of two? The grass is a mix of bluegrass, rye and fescue and 3" to 3.5" is a fairly normal height at which to cut here. (Central Kentucky). I'd cut at four inches if I could.

6. John Gamba

from ct

More patterns means sideways,corner to corner, top to bottom and so on.

7. drive20smoke

Oh..I gotcha. I can try that. But generally, the ruts occur in any pattern i run. As if the mower is too heavy or something and why i tried to walk it instead of ride it. Do you think that putting new drive tires on the machine would help? If so, would you run higher or lower tire pressures? Thanks for your time, by the way.

8. John Gamba

from ct

Anytime. Try and go as wide as you can. do not go any wider then the deck.

9. drive20smoke

The tires are the same size that came on the machine. I'm fairly certain they are 16X6.50-8. I'll switch them out and give it a go. Thanks again.