Metro HP Tranny Slipping...

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by advantagelawn, Aug 12, 2004.

1. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

Metro HP 52" 17hp Kaw.
    Major problem with the transmission slipping from 4, my normal cutting speed, into 5, especially when my discharge is facing up a hill. Is there some kind of clip in the tranny that wears out over time that would be causing this or is it the whole thing.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Advantage,

If I had to guess the shifter key for the 4th gear is worn allowing the gear box to slip out of 4th and into another gear. You may want to schedule a time when your dealer can take a look at it.

Thanks,

Terry

3. advantagelawn

no exmark dealer here in bowling green, need one. would it be something i could do?

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Advantagelawn,

From what the guys in service are telling me it's not that big of deal but they would recommend that you take it to a power equipment dealer of some type. The peerless gearbox is used on several gear drive walk behind mowers and similar designs have been used on riding tractors for decades. If you don't have an Exmark dealer in the area you may want to try one of the local power equipment dealers.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Terry

5. advantagelawn

The tranny is slipping a lot worse now, actually it wont even go into 4th or 5th gear, it spins and makes a clicking noise, but no drive. I have been running it in 3rd(too slow) and it is now starting to act a little jerky in 3rd. Should i just go on and fork out the $160 for a new transmission from J-Thomas or is there an easier solution??

6. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I'm having that same problem.. Did you ever resolve this?? I'm curious to know..