Metro HP Transmission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantagelawn, Jun 19, 2004.

1. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

i own an Exmark Metro HP 52" belt drive. i am having trouble with the drive gear and can't tell if its the transmission slipping or if i just need to replace the belts. small inclines basically stop it in its tracks and turning is very slow. any help or suggestions would be great.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Adjust your belts. Pulleys have been known to wear out also.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You can adjust the transmission belt so that it wont slip. If it were the wheel belts, I think it would be obvious. I had the same problem with my Exmark and it turned out that I needed to adjust the transmission belt.

4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like it could be the main drive belt to the transmission, which is underneath the machine. You will see the adjustment for this directly behind the engine. You will have to losen the pulley, and bump it over to increase the tension on the belt. Then retighten the pulley.

It also could be the tension rods for the side drive belts. Either way I doubt it is your Tranny.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Tharrell I did not mean to quote you. I hit the wrong button. Damn Keyboard!!:)

6. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

so the drive pulley underneath the mower just slides over to increase tension? i have also had a problem with my wheel belts slipping off when in reverse, any suggestions?