metro hp vs. turf tracer hp

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ale, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ale

ale LawnSite Member

i just started an installation business in july 05 and was thinking of getting into mowing in spring 06. i was thinking of a metro hp 48" 15hp with a velke on it and someone told me that putting a velke would hurt the engine after awhile. he recommended getting a turftracer 19hp because the extra hp could handle the velke. it makes sense but is there any truth to that? i'm thinking of doing some larger lawns on a limited basis to start and see how it goes. i also heard that the metro was going to be discontinued anyway. i'm not experienced in lawn care at all, so any help is appreciated. thanks.

2. jim d.

jim d. LawnSite Member

I don't have a W/B but since no one else is answering I'll tell you what I've gleaned from this site. It seems that a 15 hp engine is about the minimum anyone recommends for a W/B, and I'm assuming that would be for a 32" or 36" mower. For what it's worth, I think the advice you got is probably right.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a metro 48/15 w/ velke x2 and it pulls me fine and has plenty of power for cutting and mowing in higher gears. It kind of depends on what you want/can spend, if i had the money there would have been no question of that i would have gotten the TTHP but i had a limited budget so i went with the metro, and am very happy with the puchase. Good Luck with your search!

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

My first mower was the Metro-48 and I have pulled the velke all over. I do a lot of hills and it does fine. The only thing I had to do was tighten the belts 2 times- About once a year. Well over 800 hours and fine.
    But we now use it for rough stuff and field work only because it is a belt drive.
    For wide open areas it is great but on small residential lots where you do a lot of backing up the hydro mower is the way to go.
    The hydro will go back-wards where the belt will not really ( only an assist)
    It is much faster to use all day and will be more productive
    You will make more money using a hydro so it will be a more cost effective unit.

The 15hp is a great motor and will give you great service on a 48" mower even with a velke. The 17hp is even better. On a W/B the 19 is great and will never disappoint. We have a bunch of the Toro proline 44" with the 17 and pull velkes great. Got one TTHP 48" with the 19 Ah-some mower

5. ale

ale LawnSite Member

thanks for the help. i may have a relative purchasing one for me in exchange for mowing two of his properties and i wanted to get him some prices before we worked out any details. thanks again.

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Both will pull you just fine but the price will probably be the deciding factor if you’re just starting out. That said compared to hydro mowers belts suck I have a metro 48 with a 15 hp engine I can not stand the piece of crap. Now mind you it’s always started in 2 pulls or less it’s never had a down day in its life but the cut compared to one of my 3 lazers is awful. Now my 36-inch turf tracer hp is awesome the ecs handles on a belt are wasted but on a hydro they are delightful. If you have an extra grand or so get the hydro. Now if you have an extra 2 grand get a 44 inch lazer hp for a small mower I can not tell you how much I love that thing. 4 inches less deck then my 48 metro and she will out cut her by nearly 250% in the same amount of time.