1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro hp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by wildbilly1113, May 21, 2002.

1. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

My meto hp 36 does not want to pull my me[160lb] and sulky up the slightest hill.It is one year old with 15 Kawi.Tried everything in owners manual,no luck.My dealer told me to get new drive belts,I did, no luck,what a waste of 100 bucks! This is just a gate mower with low hrs.Any suggestions!Thanks:)
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Wild Billy,

The mower should pull you up those hills just fine. Most likely the problem is either the transmission belt adjustment or the adjustment for your drive belts. There's an easy way to determine which it is.

Watch the output shafts on the transmission that power the drive belts. When you going up the hill and the mower stops moving but the output shafts continue to rotate then you need to adjust the drive belts. If the output shafts quit turning when you are going up a hill then the transmission belt needs adjusted.

Since you've already replaced the drive belts you'll probably find that the transmission belt is causing the issue.

This belt only needs 3lbs of tension with a 1/2" deflection to function. If you over tighten it you can cause damage to the bushings on the input shaft. To measure 3 lbs. of tension you should borrow/buy a fish scale, hook it to the belt at its longest length between pulleys. Pull on the fish scale until it reads 3 lbs. While doing that measure the distance the belt moves when you apply the 3 lbs. or pull. Tighten the adjustment idler until the belt only moves 1/2" under 3 lbs. of pull and you should be in good shape. I will warn you however that if the belt has been slipping for some time and is glazed/shiny or warn you should replace it or you may have the same problem down the road.