1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

metro-new purchase review and ramblings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by s and s mowing, Dec 5, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

guys,i bought a new 36 metro about 2 weeks ago to replace my 21.my main mower is a 60 lazer so this was bought for a trim mower only.friday i left work early to go mow 3 residential and a laundry mat that wiil be mowed with metro,and although i did cramp my hands a little(ecs contols) and do need more practice the metro is sweet.great cut and really more flexiable in tite spots than i had hoped.i do believe a blade blocker from trimmetrap is needed but im more than tickled with mower, took it yesterday to the main 2 spots i wanted it for and customers where very pleased with cut,and i had been mowingthese 2 spot with 21.i highly recommend exmark,in z or walk-behi.nd
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

How much did you pay for the Metro 36", if you don't mind me asking?
  3. s and s mowing

from ky

2500.00 out the door.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Congratulations on the new machine. :cool2:
  5. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

were you trying to decide between the metro and another mower or did you know that is what you wanted.
  6. s and s mowing

from ky

i had demoed a ferris32 for abut a hr,so at that point i knew what i wanted.dont take me wrong,but itis just abut impossible to go wrong with exmark.i have learned it the had way.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Can't Understand Why...Especially Solo Guys... Would Purchase Belt Drive Units. Hydros are 10Times More Productive.

Unless You Have Cheap Foreign Labour Hauling those Mowers around...Go Hydro.
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Fareway, if the mower is to be used extensively, I'd agree, but if the operator is going to get only five to 10 hours a week out of it, I'm not sure it makes sense to cough up for a hydro machine.

I have a Metro 12.5/36 and it cuts beautifully. This past season, it was my primary mower and I really rued not getting a hydro/floating deck. Next season, though, I'll be glad I stayed belt because this metro won't get that many hours. I'm going with a 48/17 walk-behind or an entry-level zero. In that situation, the vast majority of my mowing will be with the new mower or a 21.

There are times when it makes sense to go with a belt-drive, fixed deck machine.
  9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

S n S , I have a 36/12.5 Kawi Metro also, I used it primarily for the first 2 seasons...great machine with beautiful cut but it has its limit once your biz established! Now I use it on my yard for weekend and a backup for some gated props which never happened. My main is 52" TTHP, love the ECS on hydro, I totally agree with Farewaylawn, I would never buy a belt WB if I had to start all over, twin hydro and 52" all the way.