1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Metro or Viking?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by aedanmac, Feb 3, 2006.

1. aedanmac

aedanmac LawnSite Member

I am debating between a Metro 36" or Viking 36". I was wondering how different the gear drive is from the hydro drive. I could use any advice that is given as this is my first commercial mower. Thanks for the help.
  2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What's your budget? You can probably get a metro for around $2500 or so. But if you want the hydro drive system, you'll be adding about a $1,000 to the price. How many yards will it be used on and how big are those yards?
  3. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the Viking, you will not be sorry.... The belt drive is a PITA, do what ever you can to come up with the extra cash to pay for it.
  4. aedanmac

aedanmac LawnSite Member

I'll be doing around 10 lawns and the yards are around 1/4 to 1/2 and acre and my budget is flexible in terms of whether or not i get the Metro or Viking. My dealer is trying to steer me towards the Metro but I'm not sure.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I own both mowers...the Metro is a good machine, but, with the Viking you get instant reverse, zero turn capability, and the speed is infinitely adjustable up to 6 or so mph. The Viking also comes with a higher horsepower engine as standard vs. the Metro. That makes a nice difference on the denser lawns. If price is not an issue I'd go with the Viking.

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

What an easy choice. Viking! Viking! Viking! It was my first mower. The hydro makes all the difference in the world!

7. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely save your money and buy the Viking!
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's more than a thousand more for a Viking.

And they HP is unfortunately the same (15hp) for both the Viking and the Metro.

If they offered the 17 or 19 I would have bought one a few years ago.

You have to determine how much you want to spend. If all your cutting is open lawn with little to no backing up, a Metro will suit you just fine. It's when you get into hilly and highly landscaped lawns that the Viking's hydro will really shine. Reverse is nice, but if your of decent size, a little muscle pulls a Metro backwards just fine.

Figure $2500 for a Metro and at least $4500 for a Viking.

EDIT: Sorry, saw you were talking about 36" machines. I was thinking 48" machines. Prices will be different. All else holds true.

Remember, 36" machines are quite a bit longer than a 48" machine!
  9. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

For the size lawns you are taking on.I would go for a 48'' viking. Unless they were gated lawns.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Coming from a metro owner. GET A VIKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1